Confraternity Lists of St. Mary’s Historic Seminary Chapel, c. 1796-1858
The second series of records also belong to the historic seminary chapel of St. Mary’s Seminary & University (est. 1791). These are the memberships lists created for 3 confraternities that operated at the chapel over the time period 1796-1858: Our Lady of Mount Carmel (1796-1858), Our Lady, Help of Christians (1815-1845; listed as Notre Dame Auxiliatrice), and Our Lady of the Rosary (1802-1857). They were among the first confraternities founded in the country and the Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was personally directed by Abp. John Carroll of Baltimore. The lists have been digitized and a Centralized Name Index List has been created along with the explanatory notes of the transcriber.